I want my mommy!

That is what went through my head for four solid days.

It all started last Monday. I got a call from daycare to come pick Lyla up for a fever and "goopy eye" so? I did. and? It was pink eye.

Tuesday she stayed home with her pap pap.

Wednesday back to school. Thursday back to school. All the while having a runny nose, cough, you know..the typical cold.

Friday, call at work, fever - come pick her up.

Saturday. Miserable Screaming tearful crying mess of a blurr to me. We ended up going to Patient First. They said "minor ear infection" and sent us on our way with amoxicillian.

We baby sit Braydon on Saturday and Lyla spiked a 103 temperature and got extremely lathargic. Even Braydon (2.5 year old) was saying "Why Lyla so sleepy. Why Lyla look like at" yeah. Freaked me out. So I took her upstairs to rock her and put her to bed. She started shaking.

My paranoid mind: "oh my god she is seizing"
reality: "fever was giving her chills"

Sunday was filled with more misery and tears and frustration. We could see pointy teeth trying to breakthrough and we were giving the antibiotic time to kick in. The only way she would sleep or not scream was to take her in the car or push her around in her stroller, thank god it was nice out. Once I learned she slept and stayed sleeping in her stroller, it became "a thing". It worked. I always say "Once you find something that works, stick with it until it doesn't" so she slept, in her stroller. throughout random places of our house.

Monday. Didn't get any better. Not at all.

By 3:00 Monday she was screaming inconsolably. I was holding her in my lap trying to calm her and she was looking up at me with those big baby blues and was saying "maaaaa maaaaaa. Maaaaa maaaa." For an hour straight she screamed. NOTHING I did could make her stop. I tried puttin her in the car and driving around. She screamed for another 20 minutes. I called the doctor, they saw her right away.

This virus is immune to amoxicillan. So instead of it helping and making her minor ear infection better, she ended up having a double ear infection, both filled with puss and red and inflamed. Apparently its pretty common. The virus starts breeding in daycare around October. So by January, February March...it is immune to amoxicillian especially in children in Lyla's age group. Patient First couldn't have known this, they are there for urgent care, not pediatrics.

Tuesday she seemed better, still sleeping in her stroller though and in bed with mama.

Wednesday, a slightly rough adjustment going back to daycare, but overall a good day.

Last night into this morning - I GOT MY BABY BACK!!!!!

$15 copay on Monday for pink eye. $3 for eye drops. $35 Patient First visit on Saturday. $6.00 for amox. $15 on Monday for another appointment at pedi. $3.00 for the stronger white stuff antibiotic.
Having Lyla healthy and happy and back to "normal" PRICELESS.

Welcome back Lyla. You were missed.

This was our first time that Lyla had actually gotten this sick. I know parents deal with a ton worse, I get that. But this was huge for us.

I felt so helpless. And helpless isn't even a strong enough word to describe that feeling I had.

Now she is all better. Back to her normal self, minus cutting another molar and all 4 pointy teeth. But compared to how she was, I'll take it :)

Of course this all happened when my mom and dad went to Florida and J was on nigh shift....so yes, I could have been found int he fetal position, under the kitchen table, begging for my mommy many times. I may have made this last part up.

So that is what we have been up to for 4 days, don't believe me? See below.

I highly recommend strollers for ear infections.\

1st day of discovering the awesomeness that is the stroller. Yes. I left her downstairs, sleeping in her stroller. Never wake a sleeping baby.

But the  next day I got smarter and wheeled her in the front door and right into her room. Monitor = me being able to clean up all the boogie wipes and crap everywhere.

And the third day I just plopped her right in there, did a few laps around the house (it was colder outside this day) and bam. nap time.


But...then it became like crack cocaine to her and I couldn't keep her out of it.





So what did we learn? Every positive has a negative.

And just so I can show off my cute baby you believe me that she is happy and healthy and back to normal.
LOOK AT MY ::gasp:: freaking adorable kids.

And yep. She is eating again! wahoooo.

Now I feel like I'm pretty much the master of all illnesses and know everything there is to know about babies and ear infections and medicines and viruses that are immune to .... you get it. I pretty much know all now.

Call me....Dr. Lyla's mama.




1 comment:

  1. Oh poor baby and mama...what a tough time you guys had. I'm so sorry that Lyla was feeling so bad. Glad to hear that she is on the mend and feeling better!!!!

    ReplyDelete