My dear great Aunt Clavia has passed away. I have been thinking about this post for days now; a way to sum her up in words; a way to summarize the impact she had on my life; the way she helped form my morals, my beliefs and who I am, at last, I have come up with no words. There are simply no words anywhere that I can find to say how special she was. To explain her. So I will just list what I loved...what I will miss and what I will treasure in my heart forever and hopefully one day share with Lyla:
She was the cooker of the best damn fried cauliflower you ever did taste.
She was the matriarch to a family of at least 150 people.
She was the one who called everybody up to start the line to the food, becasuse, well she was THAT loud.
She let us run in our barefeet up and down the cement sidewalk barefoot until our toes bled from scuffing them so much.
She let us swim in one of those plastic pools that had water sitting in it {and god knows what else} for weeks. And she filled that same pool with a rubber black hose that we drank out of on a hot summer day.
Our hands would get black from going round and round and round on her clothes line poles.
We slept on the floor, she slept on the couch beside us eating her Sour Cream and Onion UTZ chips and watching The Golden Girls. {ah ha, so that is where my love of that show came from}
We had no bed time. We sat on her wooden swing {real wood they gave our butts splinters} on so many summer nights just looking up at the stars. That was it. Just looking up. No cell phone, no lap top, no facebook.
We climed that wall on her front porch even though the chances were so great we would fall off and break our heads open on the cement.
I learned what "DO NOT SOLICIT" meant from the black and shiny gold sticker on her front door because that was "sharp"
I ate raw gnoccis until my belly ached. And sometimes home made raw pasta too! I want to say she let me do this, but she didn't, if I got caught by her she would yell and complain that I had spoiled my dinner.
She was the polka queen.
She was my imaginary friend Annie's voice {which of course I didn't find out until much later in life}
She was my own little cheering section always saying "yah Amanda" and boy did she think I struck gold when I introduced her to Jonathan. She would always say "If I was about 10 years younger, I would give you a run for your money Amanda"
She was the teller of old stories. In the good ol' days.
She was a pain in the ass and would leave me voicemails yelling at me that I hadn't called her in x amount of time.
She was the woman who called you 15 different names before she got to the right one.
She was that old lady that hit a cop and than drove away and called the police station to report the "unprofessional police officer" only to find she had a warrant out for that same hti and run.
She was the parker of a crooked car.
The maker of the gorgeous bride dolls and shower umbrella and wedding wishing well.
She was "The Don"
She was so many things. She was so many memories. So many different memories for each individual that will mourn her. She leaves behind so many loved ones but is going to be with so many more.
Friday was probably the biggest Italian party God has ever seen!
___________________________________________________________
Clavia Santoni
Clavia Santoni, 84, of Rutherford Heights, passed away Friday, April 29, 2011 in Holy Spirit Hospital.
She was born February 5, 1927 in Rutherford Heights, she was the daughter of the late Guido and Arminda Santoni.
Clavia attended Swatara High School and worked for American Can Co. for 35 years. Upon her retirement, she did volunteer work and provided a loving daycare for family members.
She was a lifelong member of St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church.
Her happiness came from being around her family, especially her grandsons. She also enjoyed making large Italian dinners for family and friends.
She was preceded in death by her brothers, Adam, Nazerene, Adam and Don Santoni; and her sister, Eva Hare.
She leaves behind her daughter, Ritamarie Smith, husband, Patrick, Sr., of New Cumberland; her grandsons, Derek and Michael Smith; step grandson, Patrick Smith, Jr.; her brother, Art Santoni, of Harrisburg; numerous nieces and nephews; and her cat Misha.
Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 11:15 am Thursday, May 5, 2011 in St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church, 4000 Derry St., Harrisburg. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery.
A visitation will be held from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm Wednesday, May 4, 2011 in the Neill Funeral Home, 3501 Derry St., Harrisburg.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, 7790 Grayson Rd., Harrisburg, PA 17111.
www.pennlive.com/obits
___________________________________________________________
May she rest in peace. And may I never forget one single thing about her so that I can share it all with Lyla and let her stories {and strength} live on forever.



I am so sorry for your loss. It seems like you have a lot of great memories to share with Lyla about your wonderful aunt!
ReplyDeleteWow, she sounded like and amazing person! They've got one more loud italian up in heaven - I'm sure she's having a blast:)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss. I can say, she sounded like an amzing woman. I smiled as I read all of those memories you have. They remind me of summers with my Grandma and Papa.
ReplyDelete